Search This Blog

My newest journey on the opposite side of Soulforce action

In 2006, the first Equality Ride came to North Central University where I was a student. I was not out at that time and I thought that God could not accept me because of my sexual orientation.

As a school, we geared up for the Soulforce visit in April and were fed propaganda about their agenda. We were taught what the Bible says about homosexuality in Chapels. We knew that Soulforce's motives were not good, but that we should show them love. At the same time we felt that if we were to go and talk with them that day there might be some form of sanction brought against us.

Well, they came and it was a very difficult time for me. I was angry at what they were doing to my school and how they were making a dangerous space for my many LGBTQA friends on campus. At the same time I was hurting and I wanted them to help me. I was conflicted and overly protective. I was watching everything. I went to everything. I wanted to make sure to protect my friends from the Equality Riders twisting their words for the media.

In the end, I learned that NCU was very wrong about the Equality Ride's intentions. I think it was the first time I had heard that God can love and affirm me without reservation regardless of my gender identity and sexual orientation. That was part of the beginning of my coming out journey and trek to accepting myself and knowing that my God does the same.

I did come out. I got kicked out of NCU in May 2009, two months before my graduation date, because "bisexuality is not an accepted lifestyle choice condoned by NCU and the Assemblies of God..." That was a tough time for me, but Soulforce was there to support me.

Now I am about to embark upon this newest Equality Ride for myself and it will be a challenging experience, but as long as we bring the same message of love then it will all be worth it.


Soulforce 2010 Equality Ride

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Training

Equality Ride Training
Austin/Lakeway, TX
January 5th-13th

There is so much to say... training was intense, to say the least. We dealt with some pretty heavy stuff and it was emotional at times. Friendships were forged in the midst of that and there was much fun to be had by all. Everyone was super wonderful and I miss them dearly. I can't wait to see their fabulous faces in a bit over a month!

I read Stuart's blog (which I haven't figured out how to follow everyone yet, but that will come) and his training post was perfect. Haha, although I need more shout outs to Pecos. Our cabin was amazing! My Pecos Pals are Sabrina, Stuart, Nick, & John. Wonderful people, all.

So I don't have much more to say about training. It was intense and fun. I'm still processing a lot of stuff from training and trying to plan my stop (Southwest Baptist in Bolivar, MO) and 3 workshops. Busy bee to distract from all of the hate mail I have been receiving after posting about my donor page and more about the Ride... I think I will just make a new blog about all the hate mail soon.

Until then I remain affectionately yours,

Amanda Lee

P.S. If you have any contacts at Southwest Baptist or in Bolivar area for me send me an email!

No comments:

Post a Comment